To my nephew newborn

Ah! Little fellow,
Welcome to the arms,
Of a proud uncle.

Welcome into this world of ours.
We have many things for you.
You shall have them
As a young man.

Books,
Dogma,
Music.

Guns,
And roses.
Especially roses.

Tell me, nephew,
(Though I know you cannot tell)
What will the world be like,
In your time?

Will there still be roses,
And the time and tenderness,
To give them to pretty girls?

Will the child's laugh,
The sparrow's twitter
And the sunrise on the sea
Still be beautiful?

Will all men,
Who the wise say
Are born equal,
Will they die equal
And happy?

Or would steel
Still shed blood?

Will the madness that has been
The fate of all mankind,
The plunder and plague,

Still abound?

I hope there will be roses,
And the beauty of love

Still prevail in the end.

Nephew (how you sleep!)
Someday you will be

The father, and I the son
And you will lead me by
The hands that hold you now,
Into a future unseen.

Comments

Popular Posts