Faiz & Me

Searching for your own name on Google is surely vanity, but then again I think I am vain enough to do it. After all, I've been vain enough to call myself Ozymandias.And I got a surprise.

Sometime ago I had posted Destiny - a transcreation of Faiz Ahmed Faiz's nazm Hum Dekhenge. As an experiment the transcreation was written to the metre of the Marseillaise. As happen to nearly all the things I post on the net, it didn't excite anybody and quietly faded away.

But someone did notice. A Google search today revealed that someone had posted my poem at a discussion forum, on a thread dedicated to Iqbal & Faiz:
[Reader-list] Two Iqbals & One Faiz.

It was a bit of a stunner that my poem got a mention in a discussion that is otherwise a detailed discussion on differences and similarities between these legendary Urdu poets. from there the post found its way to this blog
[Reader-List] relay.

And then I'll pretend that the commentator here was suggesting it be sung by a voice similar to Iqbal Bano, the ghazal singer who could move a 50,000-strong crowd to revolutionary fervour with her rendition of Hum Dekhenge.

However vain I may be, such comparisons are always very humbling.

Comments

Popular Posts