Three more flowers in my perfumed garden

Identified three more trees this week, and very happy about it.



I see the rain tree everywhere, and its brush-like pink flowers, but never got around to identifying it by name. Finally got down to identifying it - Albizia saman or Samanea saman (Hindi gulabi siris; Tamil amaivagai). But I'm going to exonerate myself - the tree is very tall, the flowers are very high and few seem to fall. I was lucky to see one low down enought o note its features.



Then I saw what I think is a Thespesia populnea, known as paras pipal in Hindi and puvarasu in Tamil. Yellow, cupped flowers and leaves like those of the peepul (Ficus religiosa). Though it does not grow in our garden, it is the fastest I have identified. See what a good botanist I am!





The third one, right in the centre of our garden, with its huge white flowers, is either the white frangipani (Plumeria alba; Hindi gulchin) or the common white frangipani (Plumeria rubra acutifolia; Hindi gulchin; Tamil nela sampangi). It is nevertheless a beautiful flower, and I must be a duffer to not know its name for so long.

And finally, I do know what 'perfumed garden' actually means.

Picture Credits:- Flowers of India.

Comments

Popular Posts