Remembering Habib Tanvir

Habib Tanvir died today.

I haven't met the man. I saw him once, when I was in IISc, 2002 I think, when he had come there to stage his adaptation of Asghar Wajahat's 'Jis Lahore Nahi Dekhya O Janmya Hi Nahi'. I can still remember the play vividly, scene by scene, 7 years later.

Here's a snippet from the play I got from YouTube:-


He was trained abroad, but he found this revolutionary method by employing his native Chhattisgarhi 'nautanki' to show some of India's finest plays, including an adaptation of A Midsummer Night's Dream. And it was this method that made his plays so memorable - there was dance, music, tamasha, humour and a lot more.

The only other genius who could have matched him was Safdar Hashmi, had he not been murdered so early in his life.

Peace be upon you, Habib Tanvir.

Comments

Popular Posts